Wednesday, January 23, 2013

An Introduction

This is a travel blog I started when I turned 20, but I kept it only as a journal. In it, I documented the poetic moments I met while sitting in a crowded airport, or on a train in the countryside, or overlooking some night-lit skyline. But, looking back on the posts I've made in the last three years, the most personal and reflective were the ones I wrote when I wasn't exploring. It was the regular days between the adventures that ended up creating their own kind of adventure.

I'm starting to make this blog public at a very intentional time. See, reading old entries from normal days, with no particular memory to recall, is important for me now. I'm learning how utterly normal being a grown-up is turning out to be. How the freedom of this lifestyle only sparingly comes with spontaneous nights or harmless twists in the plan that make for good stories (although some of you may believe my life is actually an unrepresentative example of twists in the plan, as of late).

So this blog isn't just about the planes I board or the monuments I see or the food I try. It's about the comings and goings during an identity adventure between post-grad and mid-life. But, like life,  it's not just about the comings and goings - it's mostly about the passing throughs. It's about the escalator climb from one gate of life to the next. It's about changing the itinerary as you go, because you're allowed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment